Sunday, March 26, 2006

Mundul Buung [Kadayan Universe]

Kadayan Universe Community Hall: Kedai Kopi General Discussion

TOPIC: Mundul Buung

johan mcalister abdullah
« on: March 26, 2006, 10:00:33 am »
I would say Mr Amde Sidek had done indepth research on all the topics he had written and posted to this site for others to consume and digest. I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to him for all his efforts to revive and document the Kadayan cultures, sporting activities and many others.

I was attracted to his latest posting entitled Mundul Buung. This pastime or you may call it as part of the economic activity amongst the Kadayans, is dearly close to my heart. My personal experience in Mundul Taipas was indeed a beautiful one. I used to follow the Kadayan elders to catch buung taipas and as cruel as it was described by Mr Amde Sidek but the birds actually are very safe and quite comfortable after the feathers are massaged by coconut oil. It only takes one or two hours before the birds could fly normally again after they are being caught.

If my memory served me right, the glue like substance was not derived from gatah taap BUT from another tree known as timbaan amongst the Kadayan community. Timbaani] is a tree slightly different from taap, but may be scientifically it comes from the same family. The leaves are longer and wider and the fruits are not edible unlike taap.

Correct me if I'm wrong. My sincere congratulation to Mr Amde Sidek for his relentless effort to document Kadayan cultures at large.

Wassalam.

johan mcalister abdullah
surrey, england

No comments:

Post a Comment