Friday, July 13, 2012

The Seeker's Path 1: A Prologue

First of all, let me clarify myself.



This writing is not about Uncle Seeker a.k.a Habib Abdullah, a blogger who are still under Malaysian Police custody due to some appeared to be nasty postings about HRH the Sultan of Johor. Neither this is an Uncle Seeker’s alternative blog, nor that I’m exploiting his instant fame or about para normal phenomenon of any kind.

(And I wrongly pressed publish button while trying to save this article, so you may have to refresh your browser in order to properly read the finished work)

I picked the word ‘seeker’ because I can’t think of any other words to match the arabic word ‘salikin’. After all, ‘seeker’ seems to be widely used as the translation  in many related texts on this subject.

Salikin on the other hand, is a description about someone who is looking for something. And in religious context, it is to describe a tireless effort of seeking one’s true self.

It is about the journey within microcosm of self and  macrocosm of world and,  the contact between the two.

As far as I can understand, it is a science albeit the border line between science and metaphysics at a time or another is hardly to be seen. Nevertheless, studies in this field fall into parapshchology and psychoanalysis.

Years ago, this is among my reading interests. I wasn’t really into Max Dessoir, Henry Sidgwick and Arthur Balfour works. Instead, I was focus and digging into Sigmund Freud’s psychoanalysis and Carl Jung’s Dream Theories.

In searching for one’s true self. 

The big  ’I’ and the small ‘i’. 

Or the force behind it. The libido or whatever.

Sound complicated or rather, absurd? I don’t blame you anyway.

In a materialistic view, it warrant question in an instant, what benefit shall I get out of learning this thing?

Well, if you think you become rich out of this, it is outbound for sure.

But to grasp a different level of understanding about life, yes.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment